Johnson Engineering Company was founded by brothers Robert and David Johnson in 1956. Sons of U.S. Senator, Edwin Johnson, Robert and David had deep roots in South Dakota and Yankton where they chose to set up their business. Members of the “greatest generation”, these men combined to serve the U.S. Military in Northern Africa, Italy and Western Europe in World War II. Robert, being the professional engineer and registered land surveyor, led JEC for 25 years until his retirement in 1981. During this time JEC provided surveying and civil engineering services to eight southeastern South Dakota counties for the federal aid road and bridge program. Municipal engineering and land surveying were also major parts of JECs practice in this time period.
Upon Robert’s retirement in 1981, his son Peter Johnson assumed ownership and control of the Company. Peter incorporated JEC in 1988 with himself as President and longtime associates John Leinen and Steve Weiland as officers. Peter remained President until 2013 when he passed ownership and control of the Company to his two sons, Daniel and Lucas Johnson. In 2013 Daniel became President and Lucas became Vice President.